Sunday, September 20, 2015

Title: Rites of Passage
Author: Joy N. Hensley
Rating: 

Sam McKenna’s never turned down a dare. And she's not going to start with the last one her brother gave her before he died.

So Sam joins the first-ever class of girls at the prestigious Denmark Military Academy. She’s expecting push-ups and long runs, rope climbing and mud-crawling. As a military brat, she can handle an obstacle course just as well as the boys. She's even expecting the hostility she gets from some of the cadets who don’t think girls belong there. What’s she’s not expecting is her fiery attraction to her drill sergeant. But dating is strictly forbidden and Sam won't risk her future, or the dare, on something so petty...no matter how much she wants him.

As Sam struggles to prove herself, she discovers that some of the boys don’t just want her gone—they will stop at nothing to drive her out. When their petty threats turn to brutal hazing, bleeding into every corner of her life, she realizes they are not acting alone. A decades-old secret society is alive and active… and determined to force her out.
At any cost.

Now time's running short. Sam must decide who she can trust...and choosing the wrong person could have deadly consequences.

    

Rites of Passage begins when Sam joins the first of female members at a military high school. The problem is the guys don't want any girls there, especially Sam. But when their attempts at making her leave prove futile things get dangerous for Sam. 

She must find her allies, and enemies before it is too late or risk herself and all the other females that come after her. 

Rites of Passage started off really interesting. I actually enjoyed that part of it. But then I just felt like the story took a funny turn, and I just had a hard time understanding and connecting with the characters. A lot of it didn't make sense to me, and after thinking hard about how I really felt about the book, I decided that I really didn't like it. 

I didn't really like the way she was treated by her family, and in the end it kind of made up for it, but not really. I don't see myself reading anymore in this series, if there are any. 

by ShootingStars Reviews 10:15 PM 2 comments

2 comments :

  1. Such a shame you didn't enjoy this one. It ended up being one of my favorite releases of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimba, I hated that I didn't like this one either. I really tried! In the beginning it was pretty good, but it just wasn't for me. :(

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%