Monday, September 29, 2014

Welcome everyone to Coffee Shop Talks! 
I was asked to join in this week by Coffee and Characters! 

My topic this week is...
Self-publishing. What are your thoughts on self-published vs. traditionally published authors?

When I first started getting heavy into reading and the blogging world a few years ago, I didn't really understand the self-published from the traditionally published authors. 

But there was one author I started following like crazy. I read all of her books, and I couldn't wait to read more. She was a self-published author, and now she's both a self-published author and traditionally published author. 
And let me tell you I can actually see a difference between then and now. It seems like a lot of her books take a lot longer to be published then they did before hand. A few years ago it was like she was publishing a book every other month, and that was so exciting! Now it's almost like we get a book every two to three months, which is some what of a disappointment because I know I've been waiting for the next book in all of her series for forever it feels like! 

It's also not just the fact that they take longer as well. The books aren't as long as they once were either. And the first book she had published by her publisher almost didn't even sound like the author I had come to know and love because of her unique way of writing. It was just majorly different. I also know that a lot of people really hated it at first, but then they started getting use to it, and it got a whole lot better. 

So basically I think that self-published authors are the bomb! I love what they can do, and the fact that they do not have to answer to anyone at all, and that they can get their books out a whole lot faster and still be original with their way of writing. 

However, there are a lot of benefits with traditionally published authors.  Such as, a lot more paperbacks going out. A lot of authors do not have the money to publish their books in paperback format if they are self-published, but being traditionally published it's one of the perks.  And there are very few grammatical errors in the books as well. Along with the story never having a mess up or something out of the time line being incorrect which can happen being self-published because you do not have tons of people going through your book to fix all the mistakes, and other things that could be wrong with it. 


I really do like both sides of the publishing world. I feel like it's a great way to get your self out there, and a way to then get traditionally published! 

That's really it for now. I hope you have a wonderful week! 

by Whitney Martin 2:30 AM 6 comments

6 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you were able to join us for CST this week!!! I agree with you, I enjoy both self & traditionally published books and for those self-pub authors? Way to fulfill your dream!!!

    I will usually look a little closer into a self-published book (unless I'm already familiar with the author) but sometimes you just have to take a chance. You never know, you just might discover a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is completely true! My all time favorite author started out as a self-published author, then moved on. :) So sometimes it's really good.

      I'm glad I got to join! Looking forward to more in the future.

      Delete
  2. Great post and thanks so much for joining us this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you so much for inviting me! :)

      Delete
  3. Great post Whitney and a great take on the ups and downs of both sides of publishing.

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%