Thursday, August 21, 2014

Welcome to the Back To School Book Blogger Challenge hosted by Parajunkee!

Today's Challenge is...

Day 4: If you are a parent, or have advice for parents…what do you do (or think would work) to foster the love of reading in your kids?


I am a parent of a two year old, so he hasn't learned to read yet at this time. 
I don't really have a whole lot of advice for anyone. I'm not expert at getting children to read, but I can tell you what I do with my son. 

So far since he's just now learning to speak more than a few words my husband and I just read to him every day. 
We get lots and lots of picture books and let him hold them, and point to things when we read the book to him. He loves reading before bed time, and it's something we get to share together. 
Now when he gets a little bit older I'm not exactly sure how to get him to want to read on his own yet, but I figure if he likes us reading to him. Then maybe he will eventually want to read the bedtime story to us, and just kind of go from there. 

I know that we are basically going to let our little one see us reading ourselves so it is something that he may want to try at one point in time, and I bet being in school will help wanting to read more as well. I also know he's going to see me get excited about up coming releases and when we got to the bookstore with him I get all excited so he's basically going to see us wanting books, and kind of learn his own way from there. :) 

So basically we are going to read to him lots and lots, and let him see us read to show him it is something we enjoy doing. Other than that that's really all we are doing so far. Now maybe when he gets older that may change a little bit, but for now that's as far as we've gotten with our little one. 


That's all folks!
What about you?

by Whitney Martin 2:30 AM 12 comments

12 comments :

  1. I think you're doing a great job so far! Hopefully your little one will be a great reader in the future :)

    Louise - Nerdette Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's 2, the age of "no", as far as I can remember ;) Young children absolutely adore books. When they come to our library, they can borrow 20 documents and they do ! More than the adults. Somehow, we lose them when they turn into teenagers. Computers and such, maybe, but I think that forcing kids in college to read certain books can deter them from reading. That's what is happening to my eldest, while the youngest devours books everyday. On the other hand, the eldest has a knack for drawing ;) Letting children choose what they want to read, propose but not oblige, is the key to make them enjoy reading rather than seeing it as a chore, I think ;) You're doing good with your son so far !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely! Except our two year old loves to say "No Way!" not just no lol :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I thinks that is the best thing you can do! I miss reading to my girls when they where that little:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I will be disappointed when my little one doesn't want me to read to him any longer!

      Delete
  4. Those are great ideas, we read to our son from the time he was born. He's now 9 and has been a bookworm all his life. His bookshelf is bigger than mine!
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! That's crazy that his bookshelf is bigger than yours. I just added my little ones books to my book shelf. Though I'm thinking about getting a much bigger shelf now that we are running out of room!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Your off to a good start. Reading to them is a big start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Whitney!

    It's your fellow Barista Jamie. Lol. I love this topic because it's something I have wanted to instill in my four year old just like my mom did for me.

    I'd say you are doing a great job fostering that love of reading, and encouraging others to do the same.

    As for me, for my baby shower, instead of a card I asked all of my attendees to include their favorite childhood book or one they read to their children with a special dedication written inside to my little one. It worked beautifully. I got my son's storybook library started with some great children's books, but with the love of all involved. To this day he loves looking at the books our family and friends bought him.

    My husband and I also read to him every night before bed. He will have us read it to him, then we have to sit and listen to him read it again to us. Now, we know he's not really reading as he's only in Pre-K, but he does really good by using the pictures and from listening to us read.

    Finally, we utilize the audio books and interactive books on his LeapPad. They allow the child to read the story themselves, read along, or be read to. It's a great tool, and my son uses it a lot.

    I'm not sure he'll be as big a reader as me, but I feel confident that he will at least enjoy reading. Hope this helps! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jamie, fellow Barista!

      That's an amazing idea for a baby shower! I wish I had know about it when I had mine that would have been so cool.

      I think your doing good with your son as well. And that's awesome that he loves leapfrog.

      How soon did you get him to start using the leapfrog? My little one already has one but I don't think he's ready yet to use it with out messing it up!

      Delete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%