Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Welcome to the Back To School book blogger challenge created by Parajunkee!

Today's plan is...

Day 2: If you were/are an English Teacher, share with us your dream lesson plan as far as reading assignments.


So I know pretty much nothing about Classic literature. I know a few things but not a whole lot. So my lesson plan is going to sort of be for all ages, middle school, high school, and maybe a little bit younger. 


My Lesson Plan:


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:
As entertaining as this book is I also feel like it gives people a chance to really think on things in our world. Because if some sort of disaster happened (or something happened that caused this) and wiped out the world as we know it, and humans survived I feel like this is a good example of how the world would try to work and the "Government" type of people would want to control the rest of us. In a way I agree with them, but not to the extreme that they take in The Hunger Games. I feel like if a younger generation actually read this book and had someone actually open their eyes a little bit they may feel something from this one. And if not it is always very interesting and fun to read!

Holes by Louis Sachar
The only reason I pick this one is I actually read it when I was younger, it was before Middles School, but I still really enjoyed it a whole lot! It has tons of great characters, and a great story. Then once you finish the book you can show the movie to the class! I love this one. 


 The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events)
by Lemony Snicket
This is another one I read while in school, and I loved it. The a whole story was very unique and interesting, and the series is very very long so it just continued to get more and more interesting. Now this one has a movie as well, but it wasn't nearly as good as the books!


 Eragon by Christopher Paolini
I recently read this one and it was really really good! It's a whole world with dragons, and lots of action! I loved this book, and I think it would do really well in my lesson plan. There was a movie for this one too, but I'm not sure I would want my class to watch it, it really kind of sucked. 

 Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Another book I read while in school that I just adored! This one was so sweet, and it really shows younger readers to have a little bit of responsibility if they want things. I loved this one a whole lot!


 Dear America Early Sunday Morning:
The Pearl Harbor Diary of Amber Billows, Hawaii, 1941.
By Barry Denenberg
When I read this book when I was younger it just blew me away. It really shows readers what it was like living in Hawaii during that time period, and with the attack on Pearl Harbor as well. It is something that stayed with me to this day even though I haven't read it in years. It was really moving, and I believe it shows the readers even if they are young how awful war can be to the people who aren't even fighting in it. 

 Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
This book is mainly for entertainment as well as giving the class a little bit of classic literature, even though it's not a huge classic. Plus is shows some really caring people, and how one fiery red head wanted to change her world!

 Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
I read this one in school, and nearly cried during class at all of the sad parts! I loved this book so much that I think every one should read it at least once in their lifetime! Plus the dog is just adorable!

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
I have not read this one yet, but I plan to soon! I think this book is a great way to show readers not to take life for granted. Now since I haven't read I don't know a whole lot about it other than the cancer stuff, and the ending is sad. So I think this is a perfect book for my lesson.


Now that's all folks! 
What is your lesson plan?


by Whitney Martin 2:30 AM 7 comments

7 comments :

  1. We have similar approaches to the class! I picked books I liked too, and stories I thought we could discuss. I know at my school some classes actually did end up reading The Hunger Games and had all sorts of cool assignments to do with it.
    & I read Holes in middle school and liked it too!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really awesome! And I loved Holes, it was really really good. :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! I really like the idea of showing the movie after reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holes is a great book! I read it after watching the movie ages ago. I could see an entire class discussion around the truth and fiction behind legends!

    Terri M.
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree with you. I loved it and the movie was awesome too.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you that even though I have read some classic literature I'm not really into it. These books would interest a lot more kids. Nice selection.
    Here's my dream lesson
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%