Thursday, June 26, 2014

Title: Eragon
Series: The Inheritance Cycle, #1
Author: Christopher Paolini

Rating: 




One boy . . . 

 One dragon . . . 

 A world of adventure. 

 When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. 

Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. 

 Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands.


Eragon begins while Eragon is out hunting for food for his family, and stumbles across a strange looking stone. It looks like nothing he has ever seen before, so since he didn't do too well hunting, he decides to go figure out what he can get for the stone. 
The problem is once he gets into town no one seems to want it, then after waiting a little while and trying it again with the traders it still isn't sold. So, after some time Eragon gets desperate and angry at the stone but then something magical happens, and Eragon's world changes forever. 
Now after much loss, new friends, and even dragons Eragon must figure out where his place is in his new life, and fight for what he truly believes in. 

 This story was really good! It had pretty good writing, and lots of interesting characters! I also love the plot line as well. (May Contain Small Spoilers Ahead-Beware-)

 Things That I Loved: 
1) Eragon and Saphira's relationship. They were wonderful together, and I really loved the bond they shared. It was so sweet, and often times humorous. 

 2) I really liked Eragon. He is my second favorite character other than Saphira. He may have seemed young at times, but his determination made up for that in spades.

 3) The magic. I loved Eragon's magic, and how pretty much all dragon riders had it. 

 4) The ending. It may seem kind of like a cliffhanger, but really to me it ended very well, and I give major kudos to the author for accomplishing this feat. There are so many books right now that seem to end with nothing but a major cliffhanger, but this one ended quite smoothly. 

Things That Bugged Me About The Book: 
1) Brom.. I had a love/hate relationship with Brom through out this story. I wasn't really a huge fan at first, but then he started to grow on me. And BAM, fifty percent of the book hits and I'm so angry at the author for this! I wanted to throw the book across the room. Anyways, I won't say much more than that other than it pissed me off. 

 2) The beginning is very very slow to get into. It was actually some what boring for about the first twenty percent to thirty percent, but then it gets a whole lot better. I was glad that I stuck with the book after that point on. 

 So that is my take on this book. I do look forward to reading the next book, and I congratulate the author on doing a really good job with this story.


*** This book was eventually made into a movie a while back, and I'm going to be watching the movie soon and my thoughts will appear on the next Movie Monday. Stop by then to check it out, and link up your Movie Monday Posts!***


by Whitney Martin 12:27 AM 2 comments

2 comments :

  1. My daughters have read it, but not me, I should !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it! And I do recommend it, it was really good.

      Delete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%