Sunday, September 29, 2013

Title: Dark Remnants
Series: Street Games, #1
Author: L.K. Hill
Rating: 5 Shooting Stars


In the most dangerous city in the country, one controlled by a sadistic gang called the Sons of Ares, Kyra Roberts is searching the deep places for someone…

 Kyra has come to Abstreuse city to find someone she’s lost, but walking the underbelly—a dark alley system residents call the Slip Mire—even in disguise, is rife with dangers. Kyra must stay on her toes if she intends to live. After crossing paths several times with the same detective, she wonders if his work and hers might be connected. 

 Gabe Nichols has worked homicide in Abstreuse for three years. Dead prostitutes and gang violence are part of the night shift. When a woman who looks like a street junkie but acts like an intellectual saves his life, he’s intrigued. Another woman shows up at his crime scene, and Gabe’s instincts kick into high gear when she clams up. Two cases involving strange women who won’t tell what they know are too coincidental. 

 If Gabe and Kyra can’t find a way to collaborate, they may not live to see the sunrise. Doomed, like so many others, to become gray, unmarked graves in a forgotten fracture of the Slip Mire.

Purchase now for only $0.99!

Amazon|B&N|Smashwords



Review Copy

Dark Remnants begins with Kyra/Tanya/Supra going "undercover" to get to the dangerous gang "the Sons of Ares." Her little brother is missing, and she knows he was in the gang so now she's going all out to find him. But when she's out on the street one day, and hears that the gang knows about a police bust and plans on taken all the cops out she knows she has to contact someone. 

 Gabe Nichols is a homicide detective who is going to be in on a raid that night, and on his way outside he gets stopped by a strange woman. This woman tells him that their raid is an ambush, and it will turn into a blood bath if they don't call it off. Gabe's not sure what to do about the woman but when he tries to get her into the police station she bolts. Now Gabe must inform his boss about this information. Little did they all know that this information would save their lives... Now Gabe can't get that woman out of his head. And Kyra is having an equal time focusing on her mission, when there are so many other things happening like a murder, and kidnapping... 
 These two sort of join forces to help catch the buy guys in this awesome crime drama. 

 I LOVED this book. It had suspense, a hot guy, a strong, brave, fierce woman, and a whole lot of danger. The writing was perfect. And not only do we get to see the "main" case in this one, but their are a few other cases that could lead us to other books in this series. I'm very much looking forward to more in this series, and seeing more of Gabe, and Kyra!


Her scifi, fantasy and dystopian are written under Liesel K. Hill and her crime drama and historical fiction are written under L.K. Hill. She lives in northern Utah and comes from a large, tight-knit family. Loves to bake, read, and watch plenty of T.V. And plans to keep writing until they nail her coffin shut. Or the Second Coming happens. You know, whichever happens first. ;D

Facebook|Goodreads|Twitter|Pinterest


♣Author's Interview♣
1) What gave you the idea to write Dark Remnants? 
 I’ve been drawn to the mystery genre since I was a kid. I read the Boxcar Children in grade school, followed by Nancy Drew mysteries. Once I could figure out the entire mystery in the first few chapters, I graduated to adult mystery writers like Mary Higgins-Clark and Agatha Christie. I also watch a lot of crime drama like CSI and Criminal Minds. As a writer, I can’t help but think, what would I do? How would I write a story in this world? Eventually I came up with one and, once it became fully formed, I knew I’d have to write it eventually. Voila! Street Games was born! 

 2) Do you have an idea of how many books will be in this series? 
 Not an exact idea. I have a lot of this story planned out--at least the next three books-- but I think there will be more after that. I’m thinking perhaps six or seven total, though that’s by no means set in stone. 

 3) Is there a possibility of Gabe, and Kyra getting together as a couple? 
 Oh yes. There will be more romance with them down the line. It will be a slow- percolating romance, but the undertones will get stronger with each volume. 

 4) Did you enjoy writing this type of novel more than the others you've written?
 I don’t think I enjoy writing one genre more than another. It’s always such a different experience, so it’s hard to compare. I liked writing something contemporary that’s set in our own world. I liked the dark, edgy reality of it. It’s also easier to use pop culture references and modern allusions that wouldn’t be doable in fantasy worlds. So that aspect of it can be fun. 

 5) What is something you have to have with you when you are writing? 
 My computer, of course. My headphones, though not always. My house is a happening place and I sometimes listen to classical music to shut out distractions. And a few pieces of dark chocolate to chew on when I get stuck and need to reflect for a few moments. 

 6) What type of music (if any) did you listen to while writing Dark Remnants? 
 As I said above, I often listen to classical while I write. In preparing to write a scene or chapter, though, I listen to music that will help me set the mood. For Dark Remnants, I listened to a lot of angry boy music. Bands like Linkin’ Park, Creed, and Breaking Benjamin.  
7) What made you want to start writing books? 
 I’ve always been an avid reader, a lover of great tales. I still read a lot, as well as absorbing storytelling through other mediums like T.V. and film. I can remember reading books as a teenager and, as much as I loved devouring the words on the page, I would often set them aside and daydream about what I wanted to happen in the story, how I hoped things would turn out. Maybe lots of people do this, but I think I did it with more detail and passion than most. A sure sign that I was destined to write my own tales. 

 8) What do you do for fun when you're not writing?
 I hang out with my siblings and friends. I live with my sisters and niece, who’s a high- energy two-year old. I love playing with her and laughing about stupid stuff with my sisters. I also play the piano, read, see movies, crochet, and I love to cook. 

 9) Did it take a lot of planning to write Dark Remnants, or was it something that just came to you one day? 
 I imagined the story so vividly and so completely that, by the time I sat down to write it, I needed little planning time. I wrote a bare-bones outline, just to keep myself on task and so that I wouldn’t forget any details, but that was it. I actually wrote the first draft in under a month. 

 10) Who is/are your favorite author(s)? 
 My all-time favorite author is Robert Jordan. His epic fantasy saga, The Wheel of Time, influenced me more as both a writer and a reader than most other things I’ve read combined. I tend to rave about that series--the characters, the settings, the epic plot and the way the author ties it all so beautifully together. Those books, more than any others, made me want to write my own stories and showed me how. I only regret that I never got the chance to meet Mr. Jordan, as he passed away tragically after a battle with cancer in 2007.





by Whitney Martin 6:08 PM 2 comments

2 comments :

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me, Whit! I appreciate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are very welcome, it was my pleasure! :)

      Delete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%