Friday, August 23, 2013

Title: Spark
Series: Elemental, #2
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Rating: 3 Shooting Stars

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can't. Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he's not doing it. And no one seems to believe him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Because Layne has a few secrets of her own.


Spark starts out a few days after Storm ends. But this one is about Gabriel. He is having problems in school now that the new teacher has found out Nick normally does his math work for him. Then his brother Nick is dating someone, and hardly ever spends time with him. And an arsonist is starting fires, and Gabriel feels he can help with Hunter along the way, they start helping when the fires start. But all of this brings more trouble to Gabriel. He starts fighting his family, he doesn't speak with his brother hardly at all, then Layne comes into the picture. She's the shy nerd girl who he hardly noticed till she helped him in class, now he can't stop thinking about her. 

Layne however has always noticed Gabriel, and she realizes that he cheats in math so she offers to help him. But Layne has some family problems of her own, not to mention scars, literally scars from her past.

Over all I liked the book, but I have to say it was only okay. I really loved Gabriel, and Layne as well. But there were just some things that bothered me. Spoiler Aler--

Like:
1) I didn't like the fact that Gabriel never straight out said what his problem was to his brothers.

2) I didn't like how Layne never stood up to her father when it came to Gabriel, or anything at all.

3) I hated the ending. It really just leaves you hanging, you have know idea how Layne is going to take everything.

So we didn't really have much of a conclusion with this one. And I believe the next one is about Hunter, so I don't like Hunter, and I probably won't read it. But now I'm curious to what is going to happen with Gabriel, and Layne. So I'm just frustrated that the story ended like that it really bothered me. 


by Whitney Martin 7:01 PM 2 comments

2 comments :

  1. I've read book one but this one is NEVER (and I mean never) at the library. So until then, I'm stuck waiting. Nice review(:
    Happy reading
    Jackie

    nobentspines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it soon. I was some what disappointed with it though. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Whit

      Delete

Bookmark Us

Search Our Site

Blog Archive

Proud Tour Host!

♥Blog Awards♥

2016 NetGalley Challenge
100 Book Reviews
80%